In line with government guidance South Swindon Parish Council has taken the following decisions to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus.
Grounds Maintenance & Streetsmart Services
The Parish Council currently contracts Swindon Council to deliver grounds maintenance and streetsmart services. They are currently running at a reduced service due to Covid-19. Recognising the fact that residents are using parks and open spaces now more than ever, the Parish Council has increased bin emptying to include weekends at GWR Park, The Lawns, Shaftesbury Lake and the Polo Ground- making it a 7 days a week service. The Parish Council already empty the Town Gardens and Queens Park bins 7 days a week.
Parks, Allotments and Play Areas
- All Play Areas that South Swindon Parish Council manage have been open since Wednesday 15th July. See the Play Area webpage for further information
- The parks the Parish Council manage- Town Gardens, GWR Park and Queens Park- remain open for residents to use.
- The cafe at Town Gardens closed in March due to lockdown. It subsequently reopened on the 15th May. The Queens Park cafe has had to remain closed this year due to safety work needing to take place nearby.
- All allotment sites within the Parish remain open.
- The public toilets at Queens Park and Town Gardens are currently open 7 days a week from 10am to 5pm. A toilet attendant will be on site to control access to the toilets.
- Swindon Borough Council has also closed the Victoria Road public toilets.
Buildings and other Parish Facilities
- Old Town Library reopened on July 22nd but with a limited service. See the Old Town Library webpage for further information. We are proud that Old Town Library is offering a Home Delivery service for people aged 70+ or are medically vulnerable.
- Broadgreen Community Centre remains closed. The Parish Council is investigating the reopening of this community facilities in a Covid-safe way.
- The Parish Office is open to residents by appointment only. To arrange an appointment contact the office at email@example.com or by calling 01793 312006.
- Since Lockdown the Parish Council suspended meetings of its Planning & Environment and Leisure & Amenities Committees. Three virtual Full Parish Meetings have been organised since Lockdown was announced. A further virtual Full Parish Meeting will be organised will be organised in August where a meetings timetable will be set for the rest of the Municipal Year. The agenda and reports for these meetings will be issued on the Council Meetings webpage as they normally would. If you would like to attend future virtual meetings please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the link which will be distributed prior to the meeting. Public questions, comments or representations to Full Parish Meetings should be emailed to email@example.com or reported by phone call to the Parish Office by 12 noon on the day of the meeting. Here are the instructions on how to use the Zoom meeting platform.